This hot Louisiana shrimp dip is definitely one of my favorites and super easy to make. Juicy local shrimp are cooked with traditional creole flavors, sour cream, cream cheese, green onions, and bell peppers to deliver a true treat to your taste buds.
I love to shop local. When in season, I always stock my freezer with local shrimp so I can make this dish year round. It never fails to be a true crowd-pleaser — with just enough kick to keep everyone satisfied, even the kids’ dig in when this is on the table. Serve with your choice of baguette, crackers, veggies, or any combination
Hot Louisiana Shrimp Dip
US customary – Grams
- 3 green onions/salad onions
- 1 red bell pepper/red capsicum
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 lb raw shrimp (peeled and cleaned) (see note 1 for sizes)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp creole seasoning (See note 2)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Chop the spring onion and red capsicum into small dice/rings. Reserve the green part of the spring onion for later.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the vegetables to the butter, stir to coat and then cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Chop the shrimp meat into small chunks. Either in half or thirds if your shrimp are jumbo.
- Add in the prawns and garlic, stir well and cook for 2 minutes until the prawns have turned pink.
- Stir in the cream cheese, sour cream and creole seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer and then cook for 2 minutes until everything is thick and creamy.
- Stir in the lemon juice and parsley then check the seasoning.
- Serve garnished with the reserved spring onion greens and a little extra parsley.
- For this shrimp dip, I try to choose smaller shrimp but when using locally caught shrimp you don’t really get to pick the size so I roughly chop them if I have to.
- I use my own homemade creole seasoning but you can usually find a great one at any grocery store or your local tienda.
CALORIES: 184kcal | CARBOHYDRATES: 2g | PROTEIN: 11g | FAT: 14g | SATURATED FAT: 7g| SUGAR: 1g | VITAMIN A: 1090IU | VITAMIN C: 18.6mg | CALCIUM: 104mg | IRON: 1.3mg
Nutritional information excludes any bread/crackers/vegetable batons.